A Work to Residence Visa is appropriate for individuals who have at least two years’ work history in New Zealand, and who are looking to continue living and working in the country.
Holding a Work to Residence Visa for two years will satisfy the visa status element of the eligibilty criteria for a Permanent Resident Visa.
Who can apply for a Work to Residence Visa?
In order to qualify for a Work to Residence Visa, you must:
- have worked for at least 24 months in a Tier 2 Green List role, and have held valid work visas for the entirety of this period
- currently work for, or have an offer of employment from, an accredited employer
- this job or job offer must be a full-time position (no less than 30 hours per week), either permanent or on a minimum 12-month contract
- be prepared to prove sufficient English language skills
- be aged 55 or younger
- meet standard good health and character requirements for New Zealand visas
What does a Work to Residence Visa offer?
If successful in your application, a Work to Residence Visa gives its holder the right to:
- live in New Zealand indefinitely
- NB: this is not a permanent resident visa
- work for any employer in New Zealand in any role
- study in New Zealand on any course for any length of time
- travel to and from New Zealand freely providing they still have a valid travel condition on their visa
- travel conditions for Work to Residence Visas are typically valid for two years, after which the holder must apply for extension of their travel condition or a permanent resident visa
Applicants for Work to Residence Visas are also permitted to include their partner in their visa application, as well as any dependent children aged 24 or younger. Please note that, if these family members have applied for their own visas based on their relationship to you, it will likely be mandatory to include them in your application.
How do I apply for a Work to Residence Visa?
Once you have gathered all the supporting information and evidence to support your application, such as employment contracts or correspondence formally confirming a job offer, your application can be submitted to New Zealand Immigration online.
How much your application will cost depends on your nationality, and whether you are applying from inside or outside New Zealand. The application fee can range from zero to as much as NZD $4,890.
Mohamed Anas Sirajur Raheem
BA (Political Studies), LLB (VUW)
Mohamed is a New Zealand Immigration Consultant with VisaEnvoy and an enrolled Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand.
He is a former New Zealand Immigration Officer (Visa Services) and Border Officer at Auckland International Airport. He has several years of experience working in various Government Departments in New Zealand and has also worked as a Licensed Immigration Adviser at a prominent New Zealand Immigration firm.
His areas of expertise and interest are in the fields of General Skilled Migration, Temporary Work (Long and Short Stay), Business visas, Partner, Parent and Child Visa streams.
Mohamed was inspired to pursue a career in immigration by his own migration experiences. Over the years he has assisted individuals, families, large corporations, Professional sportspeople, and Entertainers (singers, speakers, and actors) to come to New Zealand.