Student Visas

A number of visas offer the opportunity to study in New Zealand, from short-term informal study to longer, full-time courses and exchange programmes.

Whatever you would like to study, our migration experts can help you identify the best visa options for your own unique circumstances.

What visa will I need to study in New Zealand?

The most common New Zealand study visas are as follows:

  • Fee Paying Student Visa
    • This visa is suitable for most students intending to study full-time at a school, college, university or undertake full-time English language study, and who are paying course fees
  • Pathway Student Visa
    • This visa is ideal for students intending to undertake up to three courses consecutively and who have already secured a course and study pathway offer from a recognised provider in New Zealand
  • Exchange Student Visa
    • Students who have been accepted onto a recognised exchange programme may be able to study full-time in New Zealand for up to four years with this visa
  • MFAT-funded NZ Scholarship Student Visa
    • This visa is specifically for students who have been granted a scholarship by either Education New Zealand or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT)

Depending on their circumstances, some prospective students may find one of the following student visas to be a more appropriate alternative:

  • Vocational Trainee Student Visa
  • Student and Trainee Work Visa
  • Foreign Government Supported Student Visa
  • Occupational Registration Visitor Visa

What do New Zealand study visas offer?

All study visas give the holder the right to live and study in New Zealand, usually for as long as their course lasts. Some visas also give permission for the holder to work part-time (full-time during academic holidays), providing that they remain enrolled on their course or training and are meeting attendance and achievement requirements.

The ability of student visa holders to travel to and from New Zealand while their visa is valid is dependent on the specific travel conditions attached to their visa, in particular whether they have ‘multiple entry travel conditions’. If granted, you should check your travel conditions carefully before leaving or making plans to leave New Zealand, even temporarily. Failure to do so may lead to being refused re-entry to New Zealand and/or cancellation of your visa.

Once you have completed your studies in New Zealand, you may be able to apply for a Post Study Work Visa, which gives permission to live and work in New Zealand for up to three years and is a step towards obtaining permanent residence.

Mohamed Anas Sirajur Raheem

BA (Political Studies), LLB (VUW)

Mohamed is an enrolled Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand, specializing in immigration law.

He is a former New Zealand Immigration Officer (Visa Services) and Border Officer at Auckland International Airport. He has several years of experience working in various Government Departments in New Zealand and has also worked as a Licensed Immigration Adviser at a prominent New Zealand Immigration firm.

His areas of expertise and interest are in the fields of General Skilled Migration, Temporary Work (Long and Short Stay), Business visas, Partner, Parent and Child Visa streams.

Mohamed was inspired to pursue a career in immigration by his own migration experiences. Over the years he has assisted individuals, families, large corporations, Professional sportspeople, and Entertainers (singers, speakers, and actors) to come to New Zealand.

Book appointment