Your marriage must have no legal impediments
Legal impediments include, if:
- you, or your partner is already married to someone else
- you and your partner are close relatives.
We’ll ask you about your marital status and relationship to your partner when you fill in your application.
Your partnership must meet the requirements
You and your partner must be 18 or over when you apply. If either of you are 16 or 17, you must have your parents’ or guardians’ support.
You must have met each other before you apply.
NZ partner requirements for the Culturally Arranged Marriage Visitor Visa
Your NZ partner’s immigration status
Your partner must provide one of the following:
- a New Zealand passport
- a New Zealand birth certificate
- a certificate of New Zealand citizenship
- a New Zealand residence class visa.
Your NZ partner’s character
Your partner must meet our good character requirements or be granted a character waiver. We may ask your partner to provide a police certificate from any country they have spent 12 months or more in over the last 10 years. This applies whether the time was spent in one or more visits.
Your partner will not meet our character requirements if they have any convictions for domestic violence or sexual offences. If your partner does not meet our character requirements, we will consider whether they are eligible for a character waiver.
Eligible NZ supporting partner
To be eligible to support a partnership based resident visa application, your partner must not:
- have supported a successful resident visa application for more than one previous partner
- have supported a successful resident visa application for a previous partner within the last 5 years
- have included a previous partner in their own successful residence application, within the last 5 years
- have themselves been included as a partner in a successful residence application, within the last 5 years
- be liable for deportation, or have their deportation liability suspended.
Your partner must complete a ‘Partnership support form for Residence/temporary entry’ as evidence of their support’.
Funds or sponsorship
You must have enough money to live on while you’re in New Zealand or have an acceptable sponsor
You must have at least NZ $1,000 per month, or NZ $400 per month if you’ve already paid for your accommodation.
Evidence can include:
- proof of accommodation pre-payment, like hotel pre-paid vouchers or receipts
- bank statements
- credit card statements
- bank drafts
- travellers’ cheques
- a ‘Sponsorship Form for Temporary Entry’ completed by an acceptable sponsor.
If you are sponsored, your sponsor must provide evidence they can look after you in New Zealand. Evidence can include:
- recent bank statements
- pay slips
- employment agreement
- accommodation ownership or payment of rent.
You may be able to bring dependent children with you
- your children are in good health
- you are your children’s parent or legal guardian
- of your children’s identity
- of your relationship to your children.