Fee Paying Student Visa

Individuals who have been offered a place at an educational institution in New Zealand and who will be paying a fee for their education may be able to get a Fee Paying Student Visa. This visa typically lasts long enough for the student to complete their intended studies, up to a maximum of four years.

Who can apply for a Fee Paying Student Visa?

In order to qualify for a Fee Paying Student Visa, you must:

  • have been offered a study place by an approved educational institution
    • your intended course of study can be at a school, vocational college, university or English language study provider
  • have made arrangements for the payment of your tuition fees for either the whole course or one year of study, whichever is shorter
    • the fees can be paid by yourself or by a third party e.g. a scholarship or study loan
    • if you are exempt from paying fees for your intended course, you will have to provide evidence of this
  • commit to securing sufficient travel and medical insurance for your stay
  • have enough funds or support (e.g. via a sponsor or homestay family) to cover your living and accomodation costs while in New Zealand
  • if the applicant is aged 9 or younger, be accompanied by a parent or guardian or intend to live in an approved school hostel
  • demonstrate (through a travel ticket, funds or sponsorship) that you have the means to leave New Zealand when or before your visa expires
  • meet standard health and good character requirements for New Zealand visas

If you are already enrolled on and participating remotely in a course based in New Zealand, but need to travel to New Zealand for more than three months to progress your studies (such as by sitting examinations or doing practical study), you may be eligible for this visa. If you need to travel to New Zealand for your studies but for a period of less than three months, you may be eligible to do so as a visitor.

What does a Fee Paying Student Visa offer?

With a Fee Paying Student Visa, you can:

  • live and study in New Zealand for the duration of your studies (up to four years), providing you continue to attend the place of study listed on your visa
  • work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week during your studies, providing your visa conditions permit it
    • you may also work full-time during the Christmas and New Year period, and during scheduled academic holidays
  • travel to and from New Zealand freely, providing you are granted ‘multiple entry travel conditions’
    • NB: check your travel conditions carefully before leaving New Zealand. Your visa may expire if you leave the country without the appropriate travel conditions, regardless of the expiry date of the visa.

Your partner and any dependent children will be eligible to apply for visas of their own on the basis of your securing this visa.

How do I apply for a Fee Paying Student Visa?

Applications for a Fee Paying Student Visa can be submitted online or on paper, and from inside or outside New Zealand.

The fee to apply for this visa depends on your nationality and where you are applying from, and ranges from NZD $35 to around NZD $430.

80% of applications for this visa are processed within ten weeks.

Mohamed Anas Sirajur Raheem

BA (Political Studies), LLB (VUW)

Mohamed is an enrolled Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand, specializing in immigration law.

He is a former New Zealand Immigration Officer (Visa Services) and Border Officer at Auckland International Airport. He has several years of experience working in various Government Departments in New Zealand and has also worked as a Licensed Immigration Adviser at a prominent New Zealand Immigration firm.

His areas of expertise and interest are in the fields of General Skilled Migration, Temporary Work (Long and Short Stay), Business visas, Partner, Parent and Child Visa streams.

Mohamed was inspired to pursue a career in immigration by his own migration experiences. Over the years he has assisted individuals, families, large corporations, Professional sportspeople, and Entertainers (singers, speakers, and actors) to come to New Zealand.

Book appointment